Tuesday, December 23, 2014

"Echo"


Echo   


 

That fourteen-year-old came to me again,
surprising me in the middle of endless tedium.
A familiar face. A well-known countenance.
She said little, as is her way,
walking with me throughout the day,
reminding me of all things known.

So little changes between fourteen and forty-one.
More similar than not, her steps matched my own,
parallel, corresponding, preparing,
but never quite intersecting.  

Designed to walk alongside,
a traveling mirror,
so all that is necessary is one quick glance,
to perceive the reverberation, to hear the echo.  

Destined to repeat,
each step becoming a mere recurrence,
a reappearance of the one who was,
ingrained and embedded,
on the parallel path,
the initial journey that never quite concludes.




                           ~~~




First published in Poem Magazine / May 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment