Saturday, December 13, 2014

Bear Creek Haiku & The Mind[less] Muse


Today was a fun day. I always enjoy receiving both Acceptance Letters and Rejection Letters on the same day. It appeals to my sense of balance in the world.  :)

I'd sent a submission of several Cinquain to Bear Creek Haiku back in October. It was my first attempt to be published with this adorable little mini-mag of short poems edited by Ayaz Daryl Nielsen. I received the December Issue today and two of my Cinquain, "Reconciliation," and "Scented Memory," are included. 

I'm so pleased. Sometimes it can be tough finding homes for the little poems. Currently, there seem to be only a handful of literary magazines out there that focus on publishing the shorter forms of poetry. I'm very pleased that these two little poems now have a home.   :)

Bear Creek Haiku updates can be followed here:

http://bearcreekhaiku.blogspot.com/


~~~
 
 
And in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I'm also mentioning my Rejection Letter for the Day. I received another Rejection today from The Mind[less] Muse. I love this online journal. It's amazing, as are all the journals produced by Kind of a Hurricane Press.
 
Recent works published on this site include poems by Ag Synclair, Darren C. Demaree, and Michael Lee Johnson, all poets whom I enjoy and admire. But what I realize as I compare my rejected work to that which is getting published on this site, is that my poetry is probably just not a very good fit for this particular journal, despite how much I enjoy reading it.
 
Sometimes styles simply don't match up. I think my work, overall, is much too structured and perhaps too 'careful' for this more experimental type of poetry journal. Perhaps this is why I never take rejection letters personally. Sometimes the work simply isn't a good fit. Doesn't mean it isn't good work.
 
The Senior Editor of Kind of a Hurricane Press, A. J. Huffman, has actually published quite a few of my pieces, both poetry and flash fiction, in her other various journals and anthologies, both online and in print. The Mind[less] Muse is the one holdout for me. It's the only journal I've submitted to with this particular Press that I haven't been able to break into.
 
I suppose that makes it a bit of a challenge now, doesn't it?  (Yes, I'm chuckling) Well, whether or not I'm successful in the future, for now, this journal makes for fantastic reading for any and all who are interested. Check it out today! 
 
http://themindlessmuse.blogspot.com/


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Cristine, just discovered Sierra View Journal, and, thank you for these gracious words - please keep your poetry flowing this way (and also appreciate Kind of a Hurricane's endeavors) - have you also tried Whispers In The Wind online, Karen O'Leary, poetry?
    anyway, best to your day - ayaz daryl nielsen of bear creek haiku poetry, poems and info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ayaz!

      So glad you found your way over here. And thank you again for publishing two of my cinquain in December. I love it when my little ones find a good home. :)

      And yes, I'm familiar with Whispers in the Wind as well. Karen is wonderful. She published my poem, "Merge," just last month. I love her site. :)

      Take care, ayaz, and have a wonderful Thursday!


      All my best,

      Cristine ~

      Delete