Thursday, January 8, 2015

53-Word Story Contest; Prime Number Magazine


Some magazines and journals don't actually send rejection letters or rejection emails once a decision is made. Sometimes a simple follow-up to the journal's website is necessary in order to see if the winner/winners have been posted. Actually, quite a few journals operate this way, so I just keep a simple list with dates and follow up whenever necessary.

And that brings me to my rejection for the day. Prime Number Magazine posted their current winner for their monthly 53-Word Story Contest. Alas, I didn't win. But gosh, I have so much fun entering this contest every month.

http://www.53wordstory.com/


Who can resist writing a full story in exactly 53 words? Yes, I know I've said it before ... I love a challenge. I love contests that require an exact word count. In fact, I love them so much, I suppose they're not actually challenging for me.

Now winning, on the other hand, seems to be the actual challenging part. (lol)  But as I said, I simply can't resist. It's fun; it's fast; it's easy. And it's excellent writing practice for making a poignant point in as few words as possible. I'm hooked.   ;)



~~~
 
 
 
I also received a rejection letter today from Foundling Review for a short fiction piece I sent in about two months ago.
 
When rejection letters are gracious and kind, compliment my work, and invite me to try again, I always feel as though I should take the editors at their word and try again as soon as possible. It would seem rude, after all, to ignore an editor who's complimenting my work, while at the same time saying that it's simply not the right fit for a specific issue at a particular time.
 
In short, I'm already working on another piece that I will most likely send to them next month.

http://www.foundlingreview.com/index.html
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment