Wednesday, November 19, 2014

"Grit" published in Floyd County Moonshine






My poem, "Grit," has been published in Floyd County Moonshine, Fall 2014/Issue 6.2 

http://www.floydcountymoonshine.org/

My author's copy arrived today. What a beautiful journal! I love it. Very grateful to the editor for giving this particular poem a home.

I'm attempting to attach some pictures. I love having my name listed on the back cover of a journal. It never gets old, seeing that word, "Contributors," and then seeing my name listed directly below.

Now unfortunately, my name is misspelled inside the journal, though they did spell it correctly on the back cover. Unfortunate, but it happens sometimes. Though I have a common enough name, I don't have the most common spelling of said-name, so mistakes happen on occasion. The editor was so incredibly gracious and apologetic about it though. So I just can't see expending the energy to be upset about it. I'm thrilled that my poem is published in such a beautiful journal.  :)





~~~





Grit

 

 
From the cracked window
in the corner of the garage,
(the partitioned section
turned room-for-rent)

she watches each day as
the construction takes place
across the street on the hill--
a growing monstrosity,

a massive home,
an unsightly mansion,
completely out of place
in the simple neighborhood.

Billowing clouds
of dirt and debris
find their way through
the cracks of the window,

the searing summer heat
making the intrusive dust
feel even more invasive,
near-suffocating.

A rag is used to wipe away
the collective filth
from the outer shell
of her broken life,

but she never
pauses to ponder
the growing damage
to the inside,

for there’s barely time
to clean the grime
before returning
for her second shift,

high hopes
and steely resolve
that the tips she’ll bring
will be enough to make the rent.


              
                  ~~~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment